JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy Watch 6 won't let me set google message app as the default message app.

(Topic created: 3 weeks ago)
usersdCD0nftP7
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

My Samsung S21 phone now requires me to use Google Messages as the default messaging app.  I also have a Galaxy Watch 6 but it will not allow me to set Google Message as the default messaging app there; therefore, I cannot view messages on my watch that are sent to my phone anymore.  Is there an upgrade for my Watch 6 that will help with this problem.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
usersdCD0nftP7
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Samsung did not give me any instructions on what to do with my watch when they notified me that the phones were now going to default to Google Messages.  I was trying to use samsung messages app and set that to default to Google Messages, but that was not working.  After rebooting my watch, I am now using the Google Messages on my watch and I can view all the messages I have on the phone.  I also had someone do a quick text, and those messages are showing up on my watch as before...I just didn't realize I had to use the Google Message app to view instead of the Samsung app. (Very new to the watch, so didn't make that connection.)  Anyway now that I understand how things work, I'm okay.  Thanks for the suggestions you gave me.  It worked.

View solution in context

6 Replies
AdeptMaven
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Watch
Just to understand correctly, you have Google messages set as your default messaging app on the s21 and you have the app installed on your watch but when you open the Google messages app on your wat h, you're not able to see your text? When you get a new message do the messages show up in Samsung messages on your watch?
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
They are saying the watch will not allow them to set Google messages as the default for the watch.
0 Likes
AdeptMaven
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Watch
You can't set a default message app on the watch separately from the phone. When you set the default on your phone it sets it on the paired watch that is why I was asking for clarity.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
You're right. They just have to allow Google messages to send notifications on the watch via the wear app.
0 Likes
Solution
usersdCD0nftP7
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Samsung did not give me any instructions on what to do with my watch when they notified me that the phones were now going to default to Google Messages.  I was trying to use samsung messages app and set that to default to Google Messages, but that was not working.  After rebooting my watch, I am now using the Google Messages on my watch and I can view all the messages I have on the phone.  I also had someone do a quick text, and those messages are showing up on my watch as before...I just didn't realize I had to use the Google Message app to view instead of the Samsung app. (Very new to the watch, so didn't make that connection.)  Anyway now that I understand how things work, I'm okay.  Thanks for the suggestions you gave me.  It worked.

realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
Have you rebooted the watch? Did you try clearing the cache partition? Also, have you made sure you have the latest Google messages app update on the watch?
0 Likes