JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

New phone storage issue (storage nearly full?)

(Topic created: 08-13-2024 04:34 AM)
Members_tVHyi2C
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

I have a brand new Galaxy s24 with 128 GB of storage. I've had this phone a week and last night a pop-up late on my screen that said low storage warning. When I look in the settings, it says 100 of 128 gigs used. System apps show 16 gigs used. I have 104 apps on my phone and when I did the math on them it didn't come close to the balance of 112 gigs. When I got the phone, it did update three successive updates could this be causing a problem? I would be grateful for any help. Thanks in advance

JUMP TO SOLUTION
15 Replies
Members_tVHyi2C
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Yes I did. I fly a drone and my drone app was showing 89 gigs used. I don't know why it showed that but I deleted the app and reinstalled it and the app now shows it's let's than 1 gig. Thank you for your input.

Ryan891
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S24
I'm glad you got it sorted out. Happy to help
0 Likes
Members_LAyeZ5
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

I would check all your apps and take a look at the ones that are taking up all the space. Many apps will download gigs of cache like FB, IG or Google Maps. 

usermzeJaY3BsM
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S24

You keep making it sound like the phone is the cause of your issue.  It is not.  You chose the lowest storage possible for this device, then claim you always buy mid-range, 256GB would be closer to mid range on an S24.  Your drone app probably took so much space due to recording videos and pictures, ones that got deleted when you removed the app.

This storage 101, you can't fit 2TB of data into a 128GB device.

Members_tVHyi2C
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

I found the issue. There was an app that was reading 89 gigs used in I deleted the app and redownloaded the app. It now reads just over a gig like it should. Maybe it was the app, maybe it was the phone. But what I do know is I did not have this trouble with this app on my last phone. And  there were no videos or photos saved to this device in that app or anywhere else. I checked that. I don't keep video or photos on the device. I've never had this problem with a 128 gig device because I just don't use the space. Thanks.

joeldf
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
Are you the same one who posted over on Android Central?

Glad you found the culprit. However, you probably didn't need to totally delete the app.

Go to "Settings" > "Apps" > find your drone app. Tap "Storage" and you'll see how much space the app takes up, how much "Data" it has, and how much is in the "Cache". My guess is that the cache is high. It's easy enough to delete both using the icons right at the bottom of that screen. Deleting the cache is easiest, and won't effect anything. Deleting the data is a separate function, but can also reset the app to "as installed" condition. Similar to delete and reinstall. But without actually deleting it. Apps that need sign-in credentials would loose those credentials and you'd have to sign in again.