JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S22 Ultra SIM Card Not Detected After Drop

(Topic created: 2 weeks ago)
EdgyUsername
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

I dropped my phone yesterday (leather Samsung case attached with a glass screen protector). The case and glass were both undamaged but upon picking up the phone, it could no longer detect a SIM card (T-Mobile, USA) and would not vibrate.

I tried restarting it, adjusting the positioning of the case and removing the case, turning it off and waiting a while before turning it back on, turning on airplane mode, etc. and nothing worked. I took it to a phone repair place and he managed to get the vibration working again. However, he had no idea what was going on with the SIM detection.

After that, I tried swapping SIM cards with my roommate (my phone still detected no SIM and his detected mine), using layers of paper in the SIM tray, under the SIM card (I know that sounds ridiculous but I'm running out of options) and rebooting the phone without the SIM before rebooting it with the SIM. Nothing worked. Earlier today, I went to a separate phone repair shop and the guy working there also had no clue. Finally, I've also tried carefully rubbing the SIM card and tray with a small amount of rubbing alcohol, using a soft cloth, and letting it fully dryā€”that didn't work either.

Please note that there is no visible damage on the phone that wasn't already there pre-drop and the SIM tray, bay, and card all seem undamaged. It still charges well and still performs all of the other major functions (including connecting to Wi-Fi, just not data) the same as before. However, despite connecting to Wi-Fi, I cannot make calls or texts with my phone over Wi-Fi.

I've performed just about everything I could think of, short of a factory reset (but that seems more for software problems and this is not that). If I can't figure this out tonight, I'm likely going to need to buy a new phone, which I really cannot afford right now. Any help or feedback (preferably ASAP) would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
6 Replies
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S22
Have you run a fiagnistic on the phone?
0 Likes
jochris
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22
I've same problem too
0 Likes
yamialex
Halo
Options
Galaxy S22
Odds are the SIM tray got damaged or the software that uses the SIM tray but you got to do is go back to your carrier and see if they can convert it to an esim if the esim works then it's the physical tray and that software if not then there is a problem with your phone odds are it might just be a damaged Sim area for the software to work for the SIM card but until you try any Sim we can't tell you
0 Likes
LongHiker
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S22

@EdgyUsername Dropping your phone can cause internal damage even though externally the phone looks fine. You would need to take contact Samsung support and have the phone diagnosed. 

Solution
yamialex
Halo
Options
Galaxy S22
I also suggested that he tries to convert it to an esim because he might have damaged the internal software that reads the physical Sim
EdgyUsername
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

I set up an E-SIM and it's working perfectly! Thank you everyone for your help.

0 Likes