JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Switching from Phone App During Call

(Topic created: 09-23-2019 09:41 PM)
userbd6euXf3eb
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Let's say I make a call.  While on the call, I need to look up something in another app on my phone.  So, I place the person on speaker phone, and then I use to be able (with the S10+) get to other apps.  But, with the Note 10+, I can't get it to switch away from the phone app.  I have tried swiping up from the bottom and various other tricks.  What gives?  Thanks much in advance.

17 Replies
userbd6euXf3eb
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Yes, I am using them.  I have to swipe up to show them when this phone screen is active, but clicking home has no effect.

0 Likes
Solution
Charkatak
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

When I am in a call, the button are always there. 

1) When it is start happening?  Maybe there is an app that you installed which takes control of phone app or navigation keys?  

2) Which carrier do you use?

3) Tried to wipe cache partition?

Charkatak
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@userbd6euXf3eb I would personally not use a 3rd party dialer as your contacts/call history, some of your phone's info might be going somewhere to a server...you know what I mean...

Also if you like, you can pick one of my answers that might have a good info to be selected as "a solution"

0 Likes
userbd6euXf3eb
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

For some reason, this site won't let me reply to Charkatak's last comment.  So, I am replying to the main post.  Hopefully you get the same notification, Charkatak.  🙂 

1)  Since I got the Note 10+, as far as I remember.

2)  Verizon.  I have the unlocked version of the phone, but using on Verizon.  I had the S10+ on AT&T, and did not have this problem, though it doesn't seem like that would matter.

3)  I did not try to wipe anything other than the data in the Phone app. 

It seems to be that the problem is it forces use of the system Phone app, and the system Phone app has this behavior.  A couple times, I have somehow gotten it to use one of the other dialer apps, and when it does, it operates the way I want it.  I tried setting another dialer app to the "Calling App", but it doesn't matter...it won't let me actually call with them.  Only the system Phone app. 

0 Likes
Charkatak
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

This site isn't reliable.  After seconds page of posts, it won't let users reply.

@userbd6euXf3eb

Try to do steps in order:

1) So in the phone app, go to 3 dots on the right and then settings.  Go to about phone and see if it shows update available

2) 

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby / Power key.
  3. When the Android logo displays, release both keys.
  4. An 'Installing system update' message will show for some seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
  5. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
  6. Press Bixby / Power key to select.
  7. Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Bixby / Power key to select.
  8. When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
  9. Press the Bixby / Power key to restart the device.

3) Go to settings>apps>tap 3 dots on top right, then select show system apps>find "phone" apps in the  list>(could be few of them)go to storage and clear data one by one.

0 Likes
Samsung_vM9uOaP
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

🤬

0 Likes
userbd6euXf3eb
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@Charkatak Aha!  Good to know it's not just me.  Well, I started following your instructions, but I had a thought, and I found the problem!  The Dialer I had been using until today is called True Phone.  It transferred over from my S10+ when I used SmartSwitch (as I would have wanted it to do).  Anyway, It used the same app name (Phone).  I think that is what was messing things up.  I uninstalled that app, and now I am able to switch out of the phone app during calls.  

Only thing that is still weird, though.  The other dialer apps...supposedly you're supposed to be able to get a different call screen when you use some of them.  I can't get that to happen.  It always uses the Phone app (now the one that's for the system, I guess, instead of the other one that was also named Phone).  

0 Likes
userbd6euXf3eb
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@Charkatak Really appreciate the feedback and help.  I do know what you mean there...and it's a very valid point/concern. 

0 Likes