JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Using Samsung Smart Switch to update A14 5G

(Topic created: 01-30-2024 05:29 PM)
Maestro of Texas
Cosmic Ray
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

Has anyone received a software update to their phone using Smart Switch on a Windows computer with the A14 5G connected? Everytime that I have tried it the software says that I have the latest version. Does the A14 support this function?

14 Replies
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

If it says your software is up to date, then it is up to date.  If you have been expecting an update, perhaps your carrier hasn't rolled it out to your model phone yet.  

It should make no difference whether you are trying to get your update while linked to windows, through the windows link.  All phone functions should operate properly.

If you feel that it's a problem because of the link, why not just disconnect the link while trying for your update.  My guess is the results will be the same.  If the update was failing because of the link, you would probably get some kind of error message.  the fact that you are being told that you have the latest version, just means that any newer version has not yet been rolled out to you.

0 Likes
Maestro of Texas
Cosmic Ray
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

I have had the phone since August and had read that if OTA updates weren't showing up that an alternative was trying Smart Switch. I had used apps with other brands of phones and usually, that function was available over the years using the apps provided by the Brand such as LG, Motorola, Blackberry and Etc. but had not tried Samsung's app before until this phone purchase. I had not gotten an update using the software with my phone or 2022 Galaxy S6 Lite Tablet. I thought that maybe the function wasn't available for lower price point devices. Thanks for the reply. No worries.

0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

You have an A14 which is a lower end phone, so will probably be one of the last to roll out. My guess is that they do the flagships first (S series) and then the higher end if the A series. I have an A54 and I got the update. I did it manually, but through the phone settings, not smart switch. I don't imagine it's any different haw you do it manually as opposed to waiting for the automatic notification. Like I said, you would get an error message rather that your software is up to date.

0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
Did you, in fact, check the version number if your software?
0 Likes
Maestro of Texas
Cosmic Ray
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

To clarify; I have received OTA of UI 6.0 for both devices. I was asking for future reference. Prior to receiving those OTA updates, I had tried Smart Switch to see if updates would show up that way. I have some job sites that have poor cellular reception so I thought that Smart Switch would be an alternative to OTA. My last phone was an S8 and I never saw a need to use Smart Switch. I always received updates without issues. I was also working for a different company at the time. I hated to move away from that phone but I no longer received updates or security patches. Yes, I did check the actual software version of my software. I figured that it would be better to ask about whether my phone was able to use the software update function of that software as opposed to spending a lot of trial and error with it. Again, thanks for the response. I am good. Thanks.

0 Likes
Solution
3Fees
Red Giant
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
Yes, I got UI 6 installed on my A14 5G, but there are not a lot of changes.

Now, the back story. I got a notification of an update and then proceeded with the firmware download. Everything was going fine, then halfway thru install it stopped. My phone was bricked stuck on bluescreen, saying the bootloader did not match. I flashed the phone with UI 5.1.1 and got it back in working mode.

I then used samsung smartswitch to install UI 6.0, and everything is working fine.

Needless to say, I will pause FOTA updates and install thru smartswitch from now on.

Don't panic about updates. If something goes wrong, you'll have to flash your phone up with the previous good working version and then update.

Cheers
3fees
Maestro of Texas
Cosmic Ray
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
Things have definitely changed a lot. Bricked used to mean reload every app after getting the factory os reinstalled. My experience was surprisingly good with emergency recovery. Everything worked like it did before; after emergency recovery had completed successfully. Unbelievable progress.
0 Likes
3Fees
Red Giant
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
If you have not got Android 14 yet, check with samfw for SM-A146u , this will show you all the carriers that samsung has released UI 6.0 for, from there you can download the update and install thru the latest version of Odin thru your pc. The A14 5G is a very good phone, in fact, the most widely held, the Dimensity 700 chip is upper tier of mediatek and gets 4G lte, 5G, and 5GUC. The correct firmware files are AP/BL/CP/HOME to save your data and apps.

Cheers
3Fees
3Fees
Red Giant
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
I just installed the March 2024 update last night through Samsung Smart Switch . Everything is working normally. May the force be with ya.

Cheers
3fees
0 Likes