Original topic:

Turn off auto backup on my gw6

(Topic created: 09-05-2024 07:15 PM)
Haybound
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
I never set my gw6 to auto backup, or to even back up at all. I don't know what caused this to change. Could backup settings on my phone be the cause? I wouldn't know, because I didn't change anything there, either. My watch battery has begun draining more than charging at night, as it's trying to perform a backup. And, low battery is causing Bluetooth to disconnect. I would be grateful for any help. There's nothing that I'm afraid of losing, not the settings, logs or even the watch itself. These backups are serving Samsung's purposes, not mine. Thank you. 
4 Replies
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
You can't turn off auto backup for the watch. Backing up does not take a lot of power, but you need to have more than 30% power before going to bed. Less than 30% and the watch won't back up at all in order to leave enough power for the sleep sensors. Most likely your battery is too low before you go to bed. I would check the battery about an hour before bed time and, if it's below 30%, give it a boost charge to at least 50%. That way you will not have a problem with power drain while backing up. The only way to stop the auto backup is to turn either the watch or phone off since the watch backs up to the phone. In the wear app, make sure the slider to back up to the cloud is off if you turn off the phone (that just gives you an extra copy of the backup in case something happens to your phone. I dont know why you wouldn't want backups. Just make sure you don't go below 30% power.
Haybound
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
Thank you for taking so much time to help me! It would help if I knew of any reason why I would want this watch backed up, and what it is that's being backed up. Because, my battery is always drained below 30% when I put it on the charger at night. It stays on the charger, I gave up wearing it while I sleep. When I wake up, there's a notification with a little cloud icon saying backup did not complete. Bluetooth has been turned off, and the battery is only about 50% charged. This is a recent development, and I presumed it was a result of these backups. I am certain that there used to be a setting that I had checked to turn off watch backups.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
I believe you used to be able to turn off the backups, but then people never remembered to back up manually, so they made it automatic. You will understand why you need backups if you ever have to reset the watch to fix a problem. If your watch is not charging properly or discharging too fast, there could be an ussue with the battery or the charger. You can run a diagnostic on the watch by going to device care in your phone settings and selecting diagnostics. You can also check what's actually chewing up your battery by going to the wear app and selecting battery and device care, and then clicking on the battery statistics and seeing if anything is using more battery than it should. Most apps run at between .1% and 2%. If you see an app using more than that you have to figure out why.
Haybound
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
šŸ‘
0 Likes