Original topic:

Galaxy Watch with 3rd Party Data Plan only.

(Topic created: 08-09-2024 04:44 PM)
Gordec
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
I just upgraded to Galaxy watch 7 ultra song Galaxy watch 6 classic. What I have Galaxy watch 6 classic LTE I had it link with my XfinityGalaxy watch 7 ultra song Galaxy watch 6 classic. What I have Galaxy watch 6 classic LTE I had it link with my Xfinity mobile plan, so the phone number is synced with the watch. So far I had no luck to activate my watch ultra with Xfinity mobile. I am looking into third-party options. Esim providers such as Mobimatter allow activation on smart watches. However, I will only have data plan not a separate number. I'm not sure if this still allows my phone to get text messages and phone calls forwarded to the watch when I don't have the phone with me?
19 Replies
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch

Your phone and watch need to have the same carrier using number share.  A third party cannot link your watch number to your phone's number, and I do not believe the watch can be used as a standalone mobile device. If your phone and watch number are not linked, you will only get notifications and calls when you turn off LTE and connect your watch by BT only. It may work with a data plan only, as long as your watch and phone are linked via BT or wi-fi configured for remote access  You won't get notifications from any app not on  your watch if you are totally disconnected from your phone.  Also, if Xfinity can't activate the e-sim, it is doubtful a third party would be able to.

0 Likes
Monieca
Halo
Options
Galaxy Watch
A third party like tellos esims work on your watch . This is how mine is set up but yes wifi must be on your watch should work off you phones text and calls as long as it's powered on and remotely connected
0 Likes
Monieca
Halo
Options
Galaxy Watch
The watch has the option to switch between your phones text inbox or your watch if you're watching has its own number then this option will come out in messages
0 Likes
Gordec
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
Thanks. What do you use for primary service for your watch?
0 Likes
Monieca
Halo
Options
Galaxy Watch
Tello $5 1 GB data only you do get a phone number for it . Go Online and activate your esim instantly . That's it make sure wifi is always turned on both phone and watch and phone powered on so it can remotely connect to the watch when you're far away . I didn't have to forward miy phone to watch for it to work but with its own number that's a option. It was the best option I found easy and instant plus you can choose your plan based on your needs .mobile carrier doesn't have to be the same . Like I said I brainstormed and tried all options Verizon also does standalone but they charge 35 activation fee and 10 or 12 watch plan
0 Likes
Gordec
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
I just tried adding the cheapest tello plan. It applied to the watch 7 ultra but when I tried to call the number assigned, my watch doesn't ring. It shows it has cell data. When I leave my phone and walk out of the range of Bluetooth then trying to call my cell number, the phone doesn't ring. Does your standalone Tello number work?
0 Likes
Monieca
Halo
Options
Galaxy Watch
Since I got Dara only no but your phones number should ring on your watch . Basically forget about the watches phone number completely. Just connect to wifi with LTE on and your watch will remotely connect to your phone ringing when your phone number rings and when you call from it it will show your cell number call your phones number and it will ring
0 Likes
Monieca
Halo
Options
Galaxy Watch
In other words if you want your Tello number to ring as separate line get voice at least 100 minutes but I was under impression we want to use our watch as a extension of phone with same number as long as you have LTE data on your watch wifi calling enabled on phone and wifi on watch to remotely connect you can forget you phone at home and won't miss your calls or texts cause they will transfer o your watch by its remote connection
0 Likes
Gordec
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
So the standalone number is working now on the watch. I used call forwarding when unanswered on my primary phone with Xfinity mobile. Now calls will get forwarded. I still can't get text to get forwarded.
0 Likes