JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Will I lose any features by going with the unlocked S24?

(Topic created: 01-17-2024 08:09 PM)
Sam_K
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

I'm debating between pre-ordering the S24 Ultra unlocked model or the T-Mobile model. I know the 1tb storage option is only available on the unlocked model as well as some exclusive colors. Will I lose any Android or software features by going with the unlocked model?  For example, will T-Mobile apps like Visual Voicemail and Scam Shield work on the unlocked version?  Thanks in advance.

8 Replies
tank776
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I mean, the T-Mobile apps also works on the unlock model.
The app are optimized for all versions of Android.
Greeting from Germany User in USA.
Sam_K
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Thanks for confirming the apps will work. I'm using T-Mobile USA service. I wasn't sure if the T-Mobile apps required some other software that's only installed on the carrier version.
tank776
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
OK, in Germany the apps of T-Mobile for all hardware and software versions the same.
Of course, in USA this may be different.
0 Likes
Sam_K
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Thanks. I'm assuming the hardware versions are the same but the software is different in the US. Carriers have their own startup screen and apps pre-installed like their own apps. People say the unlocked versions are better because there's less bloatware to slow them down.
tank776
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Hi!
in this case I would always take a free version without bloatware
0 Likes
Solution
PAHelper
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
You can add the apps you want on the unlocked version. They just have to be downloaded. The carrier models have their bloatware already. The carrier will allow you to download what you need.
Sam_K
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Thanks. Being able to download the apps wasn't my concern. Would the carrier apps work was my concern. And you just reminded me of another feature that I wanted to confirm would be available on the unlocked version which is WiFi Calling.
0 Likes
PAHelper
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
Yes, wifi calling is a carrier function. It works on unlocked phones too. The real difference is carriers have manufacturers like Samsung make a special model with all their bands mostly plus a few extra for roaming. The unlocked versions have all the network bands so they work on any carrier. I like unlocked as you can go where you want and not limit your service to one type. They are good on all major carriers and mnvo's under them. Plus more available memory as there no bloatware. You can still get all your carrier has to offer without their extra screens.