JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Why is Google Messages Creating Group Chats for MMS?

(Topic created: Tuesday)
BlackBullJutsu
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Hey y'all,

So I've just activated and transferred over everything from my S22 and for some terrible reason, Google Messages has split every single text thread I had into separate strings. One will be the original thread, but they ripped out every text from non-RCS numbers AND images and put them into a separate group chat with yourself and that number they'd come from.

How can this be fixed? It's extremely frustrating.
28 Replies
Pallas_159
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I had tried everything else before (clearing cache, reinstalling, etc) with no change in the split messages. Adding my phone number is what cleared up this issue for me. Thank you so much!
0 Likes
userkCOJvkSh1n
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Adding my phone number worked for me. I didn't have to do anything else. Thanks for this!
0 Likes
SantiagoJoe
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

This issue has been frustrating me for a long time. After reading through previous responses, I tried to uninstall the Google Messages app, but it's now deemed essential by Samsung and can't be uninstalled.

What appears to have resolved the issue for the time being is as follows:

1) Open the Google Messages app.

2) Assuming you're signed into your Google account, click on the first letter of your name in the colored circle. For example, I clicked on "J" for Jason.

3) Select "Messages settings".

4) Scroll down and select "Advanced."

5) Locate the "Phone Number" setting, which was empty for me.

6) Enter your phone number.

After doing this, messages with photos began to arrive in the same chat as text-only messages, meaning a separate group with the MMS sender and myself was not formed.

I hope this solution is permanent and proves helpful for you too.

cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24

I went in to try this, and mine keeps resetting itself to unknown after I put in my phone number. Maybe it's a carrier thing. I'm with US Cellular. I have NOT done the whole cache & data delete, uninstall / reinstall as suggested by another post.

CWinkler
Galaxy S24 Ultra, Active4
0 Likes
J-s20
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

This was SO helpful!! Thank you for the step by step too.

0 Likes
Pallas_159
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Thanks so much, this has been an issue for me for so long. Adding the phone number is what fixed it for me.
0 Likes
userSPMKVl8CrN
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Well it's Sept. 2024 and this just happened to me, so I guess they didn't fix the issue yet and I also noticed that the phase out of the Samsung Messages is getting closer they are now prompting me to install google messages.

userx6dLkCuf23
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
It won't allow me to add my phone in the app? What do I do?
0 Likes
userkm4ZUhWupV
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Same, phone number is grayed out under advanced settings.

Edit: Had to clear data via app settings. Then was able to enter phone number, which made some of this better. I was not able to see messages I sent in group chats but now I can at least see those. However, incoming messages are still split.
0 Likes