JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Emails Sent from Contacts

(Topic created: 02-05-2024 02:13 PM)
Bruzeta
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
When I choose a Contact and then send an email directly from Contacts why is my S24 Ultra sending a 'gmail email' instead of my default email which is aol (NOT gmail)? My gmail email account is not my DEFAULT email.

For example, when I send emails from my emails, it uses my default account. However, at times when I look up someone in my contacts I send emails directly from my contacts.

HELP PLEASE. Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
geek1
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24

The behavior you're describing might be influenced by the default email app settings on your Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra. Here are some steps you can take to ensure that your AOL email account is set as the default for sending emails:

1. Default Email App: Check the default email app settings on your device. Follow these steps:

• Open the "Settings" app on your Galaxy S24 Ultra.
    • Scroll down and select "Apps."
    • Find and tap on the "Email" app or the default email app you use.
    • Look for the option that allows you to set the default email account. Ensure that your AOL account is selected as the default.
  2. Contacts App Settings: Sometimes, the contacts app may have its own settings for default email accounts. Follow these steps:

• Open the "Contacts" app on your device.
    • Find and open the contact for which you want to send an email.
    • Tap on the email address.
    • If there is an option to choose the email account, make sure to select your AOL account.
  3. Default Account in Email Compose Window: When composing an email directly from the Contacts app, there might be an option to choose the sending account. Look for a drop-down or selection menu within the email compose window, and make sure your AOL account is chosen.

4. Clear Defaults (if necessary): If the issue persists, you may want to clear any defaults set for the Email app and then set them again. Follow these steps:

• Go to Settings > Apps > Email.
    • Scroll down and tap on "Clear Defaults."

After clearing defaults, try sending an email from the Contacts app again and choose your AOL account.

5. Update Apps: Make sure that your email app and Contacts app are updated to the latest versions available on the Google Play Store. Updates may include bug fixes and improvements that could address such issues.

After checking and adjusting these settings, your Contacts app should use your AOL email account by default when composing and sending emails. If the problem persists, you may consider reaching out to Samsung support for more specific assistance related to your device and software version.

View solution in context

0 Likes
6 Replies
Solution
geek1
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24

The behavior you're describing might be influenced by the default email app settings on your Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra. Here are some steps you can take to ensure that your AOL email account is set as the default for sending emails:

1. Default Email App: Check the default email app settings on your device. Follow these steps:

• Open the "Settings" app on your Galaxy S24 Ultra.
    • Find and tap on the "Email" app or the default email app you use.
    • Look for the option that allows you to set the default email account. Ensure that your AOL account is selected as the default.
  2. Contacts App Settings: Sometimes, the contacts app may have its own settings for default email accounts. Follow these steps:

• Open the "Contacts" app on your device.
    • Find and open the contact for which you want to send an email.
    • Tap on the email address.
    • If there is an option to choose the email account, make sure to select your AOL account.
  3. Default Account in Email Compose Window: When composing an email directly from the Contacts app, there might be an option to choose the sending account. Look for a drop-down or selection menu within the email compose window, and make sure your AOL account is chosen.

4. Clear Defaults (if necessary): If the issue persists, you may want to clear any defaults set for the Email app and then set them again. Follow these steps:

After clearing defaults, try sending an email from the Contacts app again and choose your AOL account.

5. Update Apps: Make sure that your email app and Contacts app are updated to the latest versions available on the Google Play Store. Updates may include bug fixes and improvements that could address such issues.

After checking and adjusting these settings, your Contacts app should use your AOL email account by default when composing and sending emails. If the problem persists, you may consider reaching out to Samsung support for more specific assistance related to your device and software version.

0 Likes
Bruzeta
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
i tried this solution. my apps are current. the t-mobile rep said that aol was no longer supported by google. REMEMBER, there was no problem on my S22U. Just on my new S24U.

FINALLY, a Samsung Rep manually set up my AOL and IMAP in Contacts Settings on my new S24U.
0 Likes
JimmyFal
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

It sounds like they set it up in the Gmail app using IMAP. That is curious to me as Google; with its own Gmail does not let Gmail get setup using IMAP anymore as they consider it to be in their own words "insecure".

It also sounds like it's not that they don't support the AOL App to send from, it sounds like they are "requiring" Samsung (by force) to use only the Gmail app as the default sending mechanism inside the Samsung Contacts app, because Google controls Android.

Hope someone can tell me I'm wrong, here, I want to be wrong.

0 Likes
JimmyFal
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

This seems a little strange you guys.

I have the same issue, when sending email from Samsung contacts app, there appears to be no way to set OUTLOOK app as the default email app, UNLESS you add the Outlook email address INTO the Gmail app.

I don't want Googles hands in my Outlook email AT ALL, ESPECIALLY, if it is going to set it up as an imap account inside the Gmail app! (that would translate as: Gmail App is the only default, and that you must use Gmail and add accounts into it in order to send, if this is the case we need to know).

I want Outlook App to be my default email app, AND I do NOT want it to be setup in the Gmail App using IMAP in order to make it the default. I want it to open the OUTLOOK app and send from there.

So when you say in Step 1:

"Open the "Settings" app on your Galaxy S24 Ultra.

• Find and tap on the "Email" app or the default email app you use."

I choose the OUTLOOK app, where it says "SET AS DEFAULT - in this app"

It then takes me to a screen that has ONE option that states: "Open Supported Links" that is checked

That does NOT resolve the issue.

JimmyFal_0-1713191412834.png  JimmyFal_2-1713191489188.png

JimmyFal_1-1713191445926.png 

And when you say in Step 2:

"Contacts App Settings: Sometimes, the contacts app may have its own settings for default email accounts."

What do you mean "sometimes", it's YOUR app, this should be a more definitive answer not "sometimes". I hope you know the behavior for your own app, so what is that behavior? It appears as though the behavior is to ONLY open the Gmail app, and not the Outlook app. If this is true, please say so. We need to know.

Regardless, when I follow the steps in the Samsung Contacts app, the ONLY contacts that are syncing to the app are my Outlook contacts. 

And when you say in Step 3:

"Default Account in Email Compose Window: When composing an email directly from the Contacts app, there might be an option to choose the sending account."

There MIGHT be an option? Again, it's YOUR SOFTWARE, what are the options? FYI there IS NO OPTION to choose the default email address, unless I add my Outlook.com address to the Gmail app, which I do not want to do, I want it to open the Outlook app and send from there. If it cannot do this, please say it cannot.

And when you say in Step 4:

---------------------------------------------------

"Clear Defaults (if necessary): If the issue persists, you may want to clear any defaults set for the Email app and then set them again. Follow these steps:

--------------------------------------------------------------

There is no option after Settings>Apps that says EMAIL

1.jpg

So, it's starting to appear to me, that since Google has their fingers so deep into Android, that they do not "LET" Outlook App BE the default app in either the Samsung Contacts, app, OR the Google Contacts app. To make it worse, Microsoft does not have a contacts app, their contacts are locked away in the Outlook app. and can ONLY SYNC to the Samsung and or Google Contacts apps.

I would like to just use the Outlook app as my contacts app but all of us Samsung users really like having a dedicated Contacts app, and it would be nice to just be able to email from it and have it open and send from the Outlook app. If Google is forcing you guys to only have the Gmail app as the default in your Contact App, please say so as : WE NEED TO KNOW things like this.

Please let me know if I have proved what I am saying here, because I spend a LOT OF TIME emailing from my phone, and if I cannot send, BY DEFAULT from the Outlook app in the Samsung Contacts app, then we all need to know please as my only option after that will be to never send an email from the Samsung Contacts app. 

I hope I am wrong, and there is a way to do this, but I don't think I am wrong.

The fix should be to actually have an option under SETTINGS>Apps>Email and to be able to set the default as Outlook app. This setting does not exist on the S24 Ultra as of this writing it appears.

Thanks, really need this and appreciate your time and looking into this problem that a LOT OF US are facing.

JF

Enzo_Trg
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi,

I checked everything they said, nothing works.

I'm glad you made a full detailed post.

I hope One UI 7 will introduce more email default apps.

0 Likes
Bruzeta
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
A Samsung Rep online set up AOL as my default and it works correctly in my Samsung Email app. I do not want gmail as my default. Even, the T-Mobile Rep at the T-Mobile Store did not know how and was not honest telling me that I had to use gmail which was not true. If I had to use gmail, then I would not have replaced my previous Samsung phone with the S24U. 😒
0 Likes