Original topic:

How can I disable automatic updates?

(Topic created: Thursday)
Nick7hegrea6
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
I've tried searching all over, and there seem to be absolutely no solutions for this anywhere. This is the second time an update has been forced, and it is likely going to make me late. I ended up being an hour late for work with the August update, as my phone wasn't "on" to play my alarms. I'm almost certain this will happen again with future updates. If I could even delay it by a few days I could have it install when I don't have work the next day, but that isn't even an option. This feels so scummy for them to be forcing updates like this.
11 Replies
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
Yeah, that's just one of the reasons I buy unlocked phones. I don't want to be beholden to the whim of what the carrier decides to install or disable. You are absolutely right, you pay 1k for a phone, you should have complete control of it. But, I can also see the carrier side of it, think about all the people who don't update, either because they don't want to take a chance on an update screwing things up, because they don't know how to look for an update, or just plain don't remember or feel like it. This leads to a lot of unsecure phones on the network, which might cause a little havoc. The auto updates just ensure that the phones play nice with the network (also they can better help troubleshoot issues).

Is your carrier Verizon? They seem to be the most restrictive at that stuff.

Also, you might be able to stall the updates by putting the phone in airplane mode at night and turning off Wi-Fi and cellular data.- If you are not on the network, the update can't come down. Your alarms will still work and the update can install when you are awake. Of course, the problem with that approach is your phone won't back up at night, but it will back up at any point where your phone has been idle for at least 2 hours with the screen off. Pick your nightmare.šŸ˜Š
0 Likes
Brandieejoe
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
I turn my automatic updates off in the Play Store. Idk about other types of updates that you may be talking about but app updates is definitely within the Play Store and I actually have all of my disabled because I like knowing when I get an update and I like being able to research the outcome of certain updates before they happen to my phone.

I attached a screenshot, but it's just in the Play Store. You go to your apps, the dot up in the corner on the right side, and then you can uncheck/ check that box Good luck!1728134662514.jpg
0 Likes