JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Laptop galaxy book3 pin

(Topic created: 3 weeks ago)
johndk
Asteroid
Options
Computers

I have just done the first update on my new galaxy 3 book and am getting that I must logon with PIN. 

I have been using fingerprint to date, and don't remeber setting up a pin.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
johndk
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Help was a  follows if of any use:

Perfect! Let's try to reset the PIN of your laptop. To do this, please follow the steps below. To reset your PIN: 1. If it's not already displayed, type your Microsoft account name. If there are multiple accounts on the PC, choose the one you'd like to reset the password for. 2. Select I forgot my PIN. 3. On the "Enter your password screen", type your password for your Microsoft account. Then select Next. 4. On the Help us protect your info screen, select whether to receive your security code either as a text message or email. 4.1. If you chose text, type the last four digits of your phone number, and then select Send code. 5. On the Enter code you received screen, enter the code and then select Next. 6. In the Set-up a PIN dialogue box, enter a new PIN, and confirm it. Your PIN is now set

View solution in context

6 Replies
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Computers

You would have had to set up a pin to go along with the fingerprint, otherwise a fingerprint reader failure would result in you not being able to log in.  Do you have a go-to pin that you would use?  

0 Likes
johndk
Asteroid
Options
Computers

I have tried all the ones I can think of, but no success. Cant actually remember setting a PIN

0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Computers
Is it asking for a pin because it can't read your fingerprint? Try turning off the computer, waiting a minute or two and turning it back on (not reboot}. I had something similar last night (non Samsung laptop). Fingerprint reader decided to take a vacation. I was required to set a pin on setup, so I was able to log in with it. Rebooted to no joy. Turned iff and restarted and the reader was back in action. If that works for you and you get in, go to you account sertings and set a pin so that you have an alternate log in method and your people can get into your computer should something happen to you.
0 Likes
johndk
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Problem has been resolved. Samsung help desk - Nicole very helpful and patient.

0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Computers
Would you care to share what she told you for orhers who may have the same problem?
0 Likes
Solution
johndk
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Help was a  follows if of any use:

Perfect! Let's try to reset the PIN of your laptop. To do this, please follow the steps below. To reset your PIN: 1. If it's not already displayed, type your Microsoft account name. If there are multiple accounts on the PC, choose the one you'd like to reset the password for. 2. Select I forgot my PIN. 3. On the "Enter your password screen", type your password for your Microsoft account. Then select Next. 4. On the Help us protect your info screen, select whether to receive your security code either as a text message or email. 4.1. If you chose text, type the last four digits of your phone number, and then select Send code. 5. On the Enter code you received screen, enter the code and then select Next. 6. In the Set-up a PIN dialogue box, enter a new PIN, and confirm it. Your PIN is now set