Original topic:

Secure folder, weird behaviour - glitch or malware?

(Topic created: 08-21-2024 10:42 PM)
Members_2idhbRj
Constellation
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

I was using Firefox (private mode) in Secure Folder and I started experiencing issues.

I was on a video heavy site, and my phone was acting sluggish. I found that when I tapped on a search bar in the page, the keyboard wouldn't come up. And it wasn't limited to one webpage. I tried different pages in different tabs, and I got the same result. And the keyboard wouldn't come up in the Firefox address bar either. I switched to Samsung Notes, and the keyboard wouldn't come up there either. As I was rapidly switching between apps and tabs, and trying to get the keyboard to pop up, the apps started to spontaneously minimize, and I would be returned to my home screen. This app minimization happened multiple times. Most concerningly (I've never had this happen before), the lock screen for secure folder popped up, without me turning off the screen and turning it back on again. I was spontaneously forced to re-enter my lock pattern. This happened twice.

Eventually my phone started behaving, the keyboard finally started showing up, and the apps suddenly minimizing stopped. All-in-all, the time my phone was seriously acting up was less than 5 minutes.

I think this was a glitch, but I'm concerned it could be malware that caused it. I don't entirely trust the website I was on, though it was https secured. I didn't click on any sketchy ads on the site, because, well there weren't any. None were displaying. I think that was due to an adblocker on my Firefox, uBlock Origin.

Also, my internet was private wi-fi over Proton VPN. But I don't think the internet was the issue. I have a Galaxy A51 5G, over Mint Mobile (a T-Mobile MVNO), and I believe my OS and browser were up to date.

I did a thorough search of my apps (via settings). And I did a manual search of my files via My Files > Internal storage. I did this for both the regular side of my phone and for Secure Folder. I didn't find any apps or files that looked out of place.

Though, there is such a thing as fileless malware. I don't know tons about about it, like exactly how it operates or how prevalent it is, but during this period, when my phone was acting up, I didn't get asked for any permissions.

Was this a glitch or was this malware?

Thanks in advance for your assistance

3 Replies
meself
Neutron Star
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
Being httsh of I type that correct doesn't mean it being a secure site it's free from malware or other things my guess is the site causing the issue if you have anti-virus rin that
Members_2idhbRj
Constellation
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

OK, good to know.

My main concern isn't the keyboard glitching out. On rare occasion, I've had that happen before. It's the Secure Folder lock screen spontaneously popping up in the middle of me using Secure Folder (without me first turning the screen off, then back on) that I think is sus.

Is that a security feature in case Secure Folder crashes, or was it part of a malware attack?

0 Likes
meself
Neutron Star
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
I can't say not seeing it myself but would think the site is one you will want to not use
0 Likes