JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Option to disable Galaxy Store updating apps downloaded from Google Play

(Topic created: 02-15-2024 07:51 AM)
userf3EKLrJJka
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Can there be an option added to disable the Galaxy Store from attempting to update apps downloaded from Google Play or other stores? Or maybe a better question is why do I want it to be doing this / why was this added? As a customer, I don't understand why this was added or how it helps me. Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Tidbitty
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S24
Because it can see the app installed regardless where it is from. Even the other 3rd party stores do the same. What they can't do is override the play stores installs.

View solution in context

0 Likes
8 Replies
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S24
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if you downloaded apps from Google Play or other sources and they are also included in the galaxy store, the Galaxy store app will automatically update them when updates are available if auto updates are turned on. However, in the Galaxy store settings, there is the update capability where you can change it to never, using Wi-Fi only, using Wi-Fi or mobile data. I believe that's what you're looking for.
user79GMKgTS44
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
If you prefer Playstore over Galaxy store why should you use both? Galaxy store should be able to turn off I disabled Samsung Members because I couldn't get the Galaxy store to stop interfering with my games. I want to use Play store and nothing else. Why don't they ask if you would like to use this before they just add it to an update and make you use it? Or make you figure out how to get rid of it? It should be an option at the very beginning before they start interfering with your phone organization.
userf3EKLrJJka
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Both stores are pre-installed on the device and can't be removed as far as I know. I would like to install certain apps, like ones vended by Samsung only in the Galaxy Store, using the Galaxy Store and have it manage those updates automatically. For certain other apps, I'd like to use the Play Store and have Google Play manage those updates. I don't think I need Galaxy Store prompts about transferring apps from Google Play Store over to Galaxy Store. I don't see how that provides any benefit. I would like that to be opt in within the Galaxy Store or have the Galaxy Store stop doing that.
Tidbitty
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S24
If it's from the play store the galaxy store won't update and throw an error. You have to uninstall the play store version
0 Likes
userf3EKLrJJka
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Sure but why even have it show in the list of updates within the Galaxy Store if it wasn't installed from the Galaxy Store? Can there be an option to turn it off so that Galaxy Store stops doing that?
Solution
Tidbitty
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S24
Because it can see the app installed regardless where it is from. Even the other 3rd party stores do the same. What they can't do is override the play stores installs.
0 Likes
crogs
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Because Samsung would rather have you do more within their own ecosystem than Google's. By telling you there's an update they're doing the jedi mind trick and have you think they have a more recent version of the app than the Play store does. Ideally you'd ditch the play store version and download from the samsung app store. Slowly pulling you deeper into their ecosystem and out of google's.

0 Likes
Toyotabedzrock
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
I have two apps installed via the Play store that constantly show up as updatable on the Galaxy store. The version numbers are the same. The difference appears to be the Galaxy version grants enough permissions to turn the app into a spying service. Full network access, full storage access ability to close other apps. Ability to scan WiFi and Bluetooth, camera and calendar, Etc. Considering it's a video streaming app I don't think it needs all this. The play store permissions are much more limited. It's the iqiyi app.
0 Likes