JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

February 2024 "Security" update Causes Catastrophic issues + March Update did not fix.

(Topic created: 03-27-2024 07:33 PM)
Options
Galaxy S24

After the February update last night, my phone has become nearly unusable. No videos play, freezing in Duolingo, slowed performance, and glitchiness throughout. Can't use Facebook or Instagram due to the video issue—videos are frozen and won't play. Additionally, the phone is overheating, very hot to touch. This phone has been cool since I got it two weeks ago. Really upset. Hoping the March 2nd update will fix it. I have the 1TB unlocked version directly from Samsung.

3rd Update: 3/4/24 12pm:
The phone is nearly unusable post-March update. On the first day, it consumed nearly 60% of the battery while idle on my kitchen counter unplugged. The next day, with 1:30 of active screen use, it used 124% battery, reaching temperatures of 40-45 degrees Celsius. Videos on social media platforms and Talk-to-Text randomly fail. These issues, along with others, started after the March 2nd update. Restarting temporarily resolves the video and Talk-to-Text problems, but I need to restart the phone 5-7 times a day to keep it functional. Before the update, the phone worked flawlessly. I am hoping someone else has a solution. I don't think there is something wrong with phone but the software.

2nd update 2:30pm :I spoke too soon. Video has stopped working on Instagram and Facebook again.  I have restarted 3 more times in hopes it would resolve it. Everything worked flawlessly as of last night before the february security update.

One other issue, power drain. My cell phone is plugged in and it cannot fully charge if the screen is on.  IT has been stuck at 74% for a while now. Now at 73% after about 15 minutes of showing 74%.  If things were working correctly, it should be charging at 1% or faster per minute, and that is not happening. It is just stuck saying 7 minutes until full.  I have the advanced battery support turned on so it only charges to 80% max, but now it wont even do that. Currently it has no major apps running, it is just sitting next to me. The screen is very warm. 

1st Update, 11am : Phone has restarted after March 2 update and now videos will play again. That was very unsettling and I wonder how many people returned their phones because of the glitch with the February update. I am glad I only had to deal with it for a few hours. 

67 Replies
Options
Galaxy S24
That is awful. I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm not surprised but Samsung really needs to get their **bleep** in order. This is unacceptable.
0 Likes
Adrian4design
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

My galaxy note 20 5g is having the same issue, massive battery drain, overheating and very slow to charge. 

Without a fast charger the battery is discharging faster than it can charge!

Unless this gets fixed my handset is practically unusable, I'm having to keep it plugged in almost constantly.

Options
Galaxy S24
That is exactly what I was dealing with for 8 months. It was awful. Mine was the note 20 Ultra. I could barely go out of the house without a big battery charger in my pocket. I uninstalled WhatsApp after I got my s24 Ultra and I noticed that it would not overheat as much. It was acting more normal. I believe it is a conflict with some random app but for me I have 3 to 400 apps on my phone, so it's not a simple solution. I just stumbled upon the one that was causing the one on my new phone. I do miss the Samsung Health app because I used it extensively for 4 years and I do miss updating it but again I need a phone that works all day. I would try whatsapp, Facebook messenger, Samsung health and Synology apps if you have any of those. If you don't have any of those apps, I'm not certain what is the problem. Some apps seem to get behind the background app manager and so they use a lot of battery without letting the system know. It's bizarre but too many of us are having these problems. I'm pretty upset that I had to spend almost $1,000 plus trade in a very valuable phone just so I don't have this problem. It's unacceptable.
0 Likes
inetbas
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I have a A71 humming fine for years surving more then a day on one charge. Now within 4 h from 100 to Zero. 

I tried all sofar and it didn't solve it:

1. In Safemode all fine

2.  Tried to stop or kill: Samsung Cloud Services, Outlook, Playstore, Chrome

3. The mentioned apps as suggested suspects. But some you can't simply kill

4. There is in battery history not a good indidcation of the real suspect causing the battery drain in the last 2-3 weeks.

I also have work profile for my work which I can't simply remove without a lenghty process to get this back turned on an authenticated.

SAMSUNG if you are reading this fix this please ASAP.  my mobile is now a wired phone instead of a mobile.

MrBond007
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

I posted my process list (obtained via adb) a few minutes ago, showing what was using CPU, but it was removed as spam in this and another thread.

the top processes were (using a little over 3 cores):
system_server
statsd
com.samsung.android.scs

MrBond007
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

And like last time, CPU usage dropped to normal after a few days

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24

Interesting. It never seemed to drop off for me.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24

Very interesting. 

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24

Yeah, I had to uninstall. Killing apps made no change on my issues either. Something is conflicting, but each phone seems to be different. So frustrating. 

userima9xyF0Hi
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I have exactly the same issue after March 15 2024 firmaware upgrade F946U1UES2BXBE (Galaxy Z Fold 5)

Now, wireless charging barely charges it and sometimes even when charging I can see the battery % slowly going down until it dies. And it happens with my three wireless charger. With cable it charge very slowly and never reach 100%.

The only way to fully charge it fast is powering off. Very frustrating. 

I'll try to implement all your suggestions, otherwise I'll have to call Samsung for a new one (very time consuming).